-->

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Playing the War Pipes for Occupy DC


There is a curious collection of people living at McPherson Square in DC which has been given the name “Occupy DC”. On New Year’s Eve, I determined to take a stroll on an unusually warm night down Massachusetts Avenue to DuPont Circle then down to the  the White House.  Once there, around 7:30 p.m., I serenaded the President from the north side of Lafayette Park.  In case you are interested, I played “Going Home”.

I then walked the few blocks to McPherson Square as I hoped a bagpiped version of Aud Lange Syne would be well received by those I may not agree with but certainly respect.  As I got to the middle of the park, there was a meeting going on which evidenced respectful passion on both sides.  Not wanting to disturb the meeting, I continued to the north side of the Park to exit onto “K” street to catch the shuttle to Georgetown where I wanted to play on the Potomac and along the Canal.  The echos in there are great.

But as I tried to leave McPherson square I was approached by several who wanted me to play so I relented and played Scotland the Brave, Green Hills of Tyrol and of course, Aud Lange Syne.  This prompted a response from the meeting group who complained that my sound was disrupting their meeting. What happened next was very Quaker like.   A consensus was quickly reached that I could play one more and the meeting could continue.  Democracy in action.  Maybe Congress should spend a month living in tents on the Mall.  I am sure it would help the process if they were forced to get along. 

I played “Praise God from Whom All Blessings Flow” and then caught the shuttle to Georgetown.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice!