-->

Friday, July 16, 2010

A 19th Century American Hero

My attention had been called to some Indians ahead by our scouts, and I spoke to General Custer about it. He told me to take the Indian scouts and go ahead and he would follow . . .”

At that moment, the 25th of June, 1876, my great, great, grandfather, Luther R. Hare, spoke the last words he ever would to General Custer on that fateful day of the Battle of the Little Big Horn. He subsequently gave testimony as to what transpired at the Little Big Horn and I have uploaded it for the curious: The Reno Court of Inquiry.

Later on, he participated in the Nez Perce War (1877), Battle of Wounded Knee (1890) and the Spanish-American War (Philippines Theater).

While with our 21st Century eyes, Luther Hare may seem a repugnant figure, in the 19th Century he was a hero and revered American Frontiersman and solider. As such, he deserves to be remembered as such.

So I do here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice!